Spread the Word at YOUR School!
Do you want to take a stand and raise awareness of the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word “retard(ed)?” Help encourage others in your school to think before they speak.
Why: To promote respect and acceptance at your school through an R-word Campaign. Holding an R-word campaign at your school will educate students and teachers about:
• The R-word movement
• Why it is important to stop using the R-word
• How to spread the message to others
How: There are plenty of ways to get involved.
1) Take our pledge at www.sone.org/events/r-word
2) Contact our Youth and Schools Program Manager – Hannah Ries
3) Create a pledge banner or poster for people to sign
4) Have an assembly to educate your student body about the campaign
5) Wear blue to show your inclusive attitude on March 5th, 2014
6) Design posters, stickers, handouts, buttons, etc. to get the message out
7) Notify the press
8) Use social media to encourage friends to pledge
9) Visit http://www.r-word.org/r-word-resources.aspx for more ideas
Other links that may be beneficial: